» Design Maps That Use Ghost Ports
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:31 pm by Xmo5

Oldies but Goldies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oldies but Goldies

Post  Everdan on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:04 am

So I've been stalking the Chinese forums and I found this gem:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3300377975

It's a play-by-play of a (presumably) ancient game between strike1 and ANT13. It's alright if you can't read the comments, the screenshots themselves are pretty self-explanatory. But I found the map analysis to be very insightful. (It starts from the third comment, the first two are essentially irrelevant)

This is my best attempt to translate:

Let's first look at the map. The map in question is rather small, and the fighting will almost always revolve around the circled properties, which will be highly contested. Since there are no com towers on the map, attacking units on cities will be more difficult, and whoever parks a unit on it first will likely be able to gain an edge. Additionally, whoever captures the central properties first will control the land bridge, and will be able to greatly restrict his opponent's movement options, being able to divide the enemy forces in two. This allows him to divert troops to each front according to the enemy units present.

P1 has chosen Kindle, who is better at both of the above things because of her day-to-day which lets her park safely on cities, and her COP which lets her knock enemy units off cities. This could explain her high winrate on the map. Of course, Rachel is no slouch, being able to fire 3 missiles on such a small map is no small matter. In particular, because the fight for the centre will require both sides to concentrate their forces in a small area, her missiles will be more effective than usual.

What do you think? Razz

Everdan
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 104
Reputation Reputation : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: Oldies but Goldies

Post  InvincibleXI on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:08 am

Wow, the map looks like it has a very interesting capturing phase. A lot of different options, and a lot of ground which can be initially taken but probably not held in the long run (yellow can take the left contested city first, but will be unlikely to hold it once black captures the neutral base and vice versa for the right city). Should lead to a very complex and messy game. Sami might be a good choice for this map, if of course she is an option in the tier you're playing.

The central bridge is important as you mention, and it's highly unlikely all 4 cities there will go to one person until the endgame. Probably both sides will rush for the neutral base first, followed by sending infantry via lander to the centre, and then after that the chaos of which wing to proceed on and how will ensue. Like I said, so many possibilities.

Kindle and Rachel are decent choices, both gain an edge from the property concentration at key areas. Kindle I think still has the advantage, yes the map is fairly small, but Rachel's SCOP can be mitigated somewhat, and Kindle's COP which costs half that can be used to drive opponents off the cities, which as you said are so important here. The front isn't as tight as you mention, because there will be battles on the wings too, so of Rachel's missiles, probably only 1 will hit the bulk in the centre.

InvincibleXI
Mech
Mech

Posts Posts : 73
Reputation Reputation : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  InvincibleXI on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:40 am

On another note, I think it would be a great idea to do a play by play analysis of a game like this, maybe during the tournament or some other interesting matchs, it's very interesting to watch the battle play out with comments (even if I have to use google translate for the most part). It could be also a useful for learning and improving, to see how battles are won and lost. It could even be done while the game is ongoing, like a live commentary of a sports event

InvincibleXI
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  WalkerBoh on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:34 pm

InvincibleXI wrote:On another note, I think it would be a great idea to do a play by play analysis of a game like this...
Agree with you 100%. The problem is that game commentaries are really time-consuming if you go into detail, and it's often quite hard to accurately review them anyways. But I think this community could do with a lot more discussion regarding specific games and turns. Maybe I'll try to make a point of posting noteworthy turns or games, and we can communally discuss them. At the very least it makes for an interesting discussion.

By the way, thanks for posting this game, Everdan.

WalkerBoh
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 295
Reputation Reputation : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  InvincibleXI on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:49 pm

Yeah it is time consuming and a bit tricky as the replay system is not ideal. I think one way to make it feel less so is to do it as it happens- say the player (or another commenter) makes analysis as each move is played. This would work especially well if the comments are done by the player as they can simply describe their thoughts and plan which they've calculated. The tournament vs the Chinese players would be a good chance because they are less likely to be able to read and use the analysis. Another way would be for two players who are amenable to it each analysing their own moves vs each other so both get the advantage of seeing their opponents thoughts. I'd be willing to make comments on my game in the tournament for sure, or in any other context if people are interested.

InvincibleXI
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  Everdan on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:39 am

Agree that there are too few good game commentaries here. Would probably be nicer if there was a convenient way to make them.

On a side note, for the upcoming tourney, I think a good way to have game commentaries is for each player to keep a log of his/her thoughts while playing, and publish them after the game. You probably shouldn't publish them as you play because the Chinese players do understand English, they just can't speak it very well.

In the meantime I'll be trawling the Chinese forums for more nice games! Very Happy

Everdan
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 104
Reputation Reputation : 43

Back to top Go down

Post  InvincibleXI on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:14 am

Ha ha, and vice versa with Chinese for me at least Very Happy Oh and about the actual content of the game itself, I found it really intriguing, Black was crushing for almost the whole game but never managed to convert the initiative to an economic advantage, and slowly got pushed back by blue. The misuse of Black's COPs compared to Blue hitting hard and well with his SCOP was pretty key in turning the tide too. Almost a miracle that blue survived at several stages actually. Nice variety of units too compared to most games, but I have a feeling the game "theory" has advanced since then.

By the way, Everdan and I will be playing a game where we will both do play by play commentary on this forum to experiment with this idea! I'll open a thread once the details are finalised! Smile

InvincibleXI
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top